A Message from the Superintendent:
The safety of students and staff is top priority and district decisions are made in the best interest of all; however, it is understood that decisions that are made do not always meet individual circumstances. In these cases, the district supports parents/guardians in making decisions that are best for their student.
Over the last few days temperatures have been unusually low and may dip to below zero later in the week. These low temperatures and other severe weather conditions may make it necessary to close schools, have a two hour delay, or an early release.
The following guidelines provide information about what you can expect.
District Regular Schedule:
When city streets and walking routes are passable and temperatures are not below zero, schools will run on a regular schedule unless there are extenuating circumstances.
District Closures Due to Inclement Weather:
When weather conditions put the safety of students and staff at risk, schools will be closed. Notification will be provided no later than 6:30 a.m., and when possible the night before by one call, text message, social media and local news channels. When schools are closed due to inclement weather after school activities will not occur unless an exception is made by the Superintendent.
District Two Hour Delay Due to Inclement Weather:
When weather conditions put the safety of students and staff at risk due to a late evening or overnight weather event, there may be a two hour delay. Notification will be provided no later than 6:30 a.m., and when possible the night before by one call, text message, social media and local news channels.
- On days of two hour delays breakfast & lunch will be provided for students.
- CTC morning classes will be cancelled. Students will have CTC classes in the afternoon.
- Buses will run on a two hour delayed schedule.
- Schools will dismiss at the regular time and after school activities will take place.
- In the event of a two hour delay school start times are as follows:
-Elementary -10:10 a.m.
-Intermediate - 10:45 a.m.
-High - 10:15 a.m.
Parents are reminded to make sure that students come to school dressed for the weather – winter coats, hats, gloves when necessary.
Principals have been reminded to take extra precautions during inclement weather, allowing students to enter the building upon arrival, canceling outdoor recess and relaxing the dress code.
District Early Release Due to Inclement Weather:
- In some instances, students may be released early from school early due to the onset of a bad weather.
- Parents will be notified at least 45 minutes prior to dismissal by one call, message, social media and local news channels. - After school activities will be cancelled. - In most instances students will receive lunch prior to dismissal. - Parents are reminded to have a plan in place so your students know what they are to do if school is dismissed early.
School Closure for Mechanical Failures
- These closures are generally limited to only schools affected by the specific mechanical failure.
- Every effort will be made to provide lunch prior to dismissal.
- Parents will be notified by the school principal as soon as a decision is made and no later than 45 minutes prior to dismissal.
- After school activities will be determined by the event and parents will be notified by the principal.